Really? That was fast! Hard to believe summer 2013 has come and gone. In our third season of operation, we were greeted with numerous mtb tours, beginner to super advanced excursions, and all ending with high fives, maybe a beer or two and dirt crusted smiles. Now winter is upon and Tahoe Mountain Guides is making way for another season of snow shoe adventures. But, before we get cozy for winter 2013/2014, let’s reminiscence to the many mountain bike adventures had with new and old friends. Let’s remember our accomplishments and new trails conquered; a new sport you tried and succeeded… and booking another tour for next season! So, thank you to TMG’s many mountain bikers, return clients and tours to come.
As we always say, “the ride is about the client, not the guide.” This has been our mantra since the first tour and holds true to this day. We love to mtb, but we want you to love mtb’ing as much as us. So, we will not be a parent or demanding coach, just a friend enjoying the scenery Tahoe/Truckee has to offer. We are there to give you suggestions to enhance your skill level, but most importantly, for you to have as much fun as we are having. That is why we do what we do. These same ideals carry over to TMG’s snow shoe adventures. Just you, nature, a fresh blanket of snow, and some know it all guide who keeps telling you facts and history of the Truckee, Tahoe area. Yeah, we love where we live!
Tahoe Mountain Guides Full moon snow shoe tour dates are available on our website. If you would like to book a snow shoe tour for another date, just call, text, email, smoke signal… we can accommodate your needs and customize a snow shoe tour for any occasion and ability. TMG will provide snow shoes, poles and a warm beverage and some of the most amazing scenery our winter wonderland has to offer.
I can’t recall the last time I was riding the Western States Trail with perfect tacky conditions so early! April 22, 2013 to be exact. I’m sure it has happened before, but it sure is nice to be riding the mountain bike as opposed to strapping on boots and skis. So, it’s now bike season and the lower elevation trails are riding pretty well. I figured it was time to explore some of our elevated trails… today I wanted Western States.
The entrance from Hwy 89 is open, clear and tacky! No downed trees and excellent riding Around each switchback I was anticipating wet soft ground, or a patch of snow. Nothing! After the climb to the first rest area, I decided to proceed to the Wall. Still tacky perfect conditions leading the way up to the Wall. Then the climb begins…about half way up the Wall a barrier of snow presented itself. All I could think, “this is better than I thought”. For late April mountain biking, we are looking good and should get more open as the weeks progress.
Stay up to date with trail conditions from your friends at Tahoe Mountain Guides.
What a spectacular showing of support this past Saturday and Sunday, August 18 & 19, to the famed mountain bike trail Hole in the Ground on Donner Summit. All volunteers worked under supervision from local Forest Service and trail crew leaders with the task of drainage work, tread enhancement and repair, and even a minor re-route. The Forest Service developed a participating agreement with American Conservation Experience – ACE – to complete the necessary trail maintenance.
Many thanks go out to all the volunteers, local businesses and non-profit partners that helped support the Hole in the Ground trail building project: TAMBA, Ace Mountain Hardware, The Backcountry, Truckee Donner Land Trust and Truckee Trails Foundation. The people behind the organizations: Joe Flannery and Bob Holland of the US Forest Service; Kevin Star of Truckee Trails Foundation; Kevin Joell of TAMBA; and Tom Clarke, Ken Long, Steve Alexander and Cory Champagne of TMG – Tahoe Mountain Guides. Great work everyone and great show of support!
Another fantastic event has come and gone. If you missed it, make sure to mark your calendar for next season. Grab your friends, sorry – ladies only, and make plans to join Lake Tahoe’s All-Womens Sports Camp, along with us, Tahoe Mountain Guides.
Thanks to Inger at Lake Tahoe’s All-Women Sports Camp for inviting Tahoe Mountain Guides for the second annual event we truly enjoy and love. The Lake Tahoe’s All-Women Sports Camp mountain bike portion is for beginner to intermediate mountain bikers. You will learn the skills and techniques used to get you up, and down, the mountain bike trail. If you are a beginner and wanting to learn, or have the desire to improve your mtb skills, be sure to join us next season.
And we must not forget, Marla Streb, National Mountain Bike Champion, for leading the mountain bike clinic. Without Marla this event would not be the same. Thanks to ALL the ladies for attending; practice those skills and if you need an incentive, make sure to book a lesson, bring your friends or book a private on-on-one with Tahoe Mountain Guides.
Happy Mountain Biking!
The TMG Crew
So, maybe you are new to mountain biking or a seasoned veteran, and you have asked the question, “why should I choose to mountain bike with Tahoe Mountain Guides?” Well, we have asked ourselves the same question and believe the answer is quite simple:
- Tahoe Mountain Guides offers one on one personalized instruction. TMG’s instruction is for every type of rider from young to adult, teaching you the skills and technique to excel as a mountain biker.
- We do not take a chairlift to the top of a mountain bike climb. We teach you proper weight distribution, cadence and the skills to get you to the top of the mountain. We like to earn our turns; this makes the downhill portion that much more enjoyable. Don’t worry, you will get the same instruction to get you down the hill, too. If you want to experience just the downhill portion of mountain biking, we think you will enjoy the mountain bike park Northstar at California has to offer the gravity rider.
- Tahoe Mountain Guides holds extensive permits from the U.S. Forest Service allowing us a wide range of trails for every ability level. We are proud to work in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service and take this responsibility with great pride.
- TMG loves to mountain bike! We also like to talk. Not only will you get a breathtaking view, amazing trails and enjoyable experience, you will also get the history, local folklore and funny stories about Lake Tahoe and Truckee. Also, we like to stop and take in the view, too!
- Our guides will only take 3-4 riders at a time. With larger groups, we assess all riders and can split-up according to ability levels. This way everyone has an enjoyable experience and does the ride they want.
- Each tour is about you! It is never about the guide.
- Tahoe Mountain Guides offers shuttle service for you and your friends on the Tahoe Truckee Super D!
- Heaven for bid any of our guests have an accident, TMG is prepared. All guides are medically trained.
Want to experience a ride with Tahoe Mountain Guides? It’s easy to ride with TMG; just contact us, make a reservation for yourself, a group of friends, family, or a company team building workshop. We just want to ride and make new mtb friends! Tahoe Mountain Guides hits the trail seven days a week and waiting to ride with you.
The TMG Crew