From summers single-trail mountain bike trails to a winters blanketed white snow shoe trail, Tahoe Mountain Guides encompasses all seasons in beautiful Lake Tahoe. And we enjoy every moment! What a better way to spend a winters day; getting off the crowded ski slopes and enjoying natural uninterrupted fields of snow. The only sound you will hear is the squeaky snow underfoot, your breath and a trail guides knowledge of your surroundings.
Snow shoe tours are designed to give you a gentle aerobic workout. TMG offers terrain for the first time snow shoe enthusiast and families. Nothing strenuous about our tours! However, if you would like something more challenging, we have those trails, too. Each tour includes: snow shoes, poles, organic trail snacks and warm beverages. You should have warm shoes, a beanie, a warm jacket (and fleece layer) and gloves. TMG will provide the rest.
I can’t recall the last time I was riding the Western States Trail with perfect tacky conditions so early! April 22, 2013 to be exact. I’m sure it has happened before, but it sure is nice to be riding the mountain bike as opposed to strapping on boots and skis. So, it’s now bike season and the lower elevation trails are riding pretty well. I figured it was time to explore some of our elevated trails… today I wanted Western States.
The entrance from Hwy 89 is open, clear and tacky! No downed trees and excellent riding Around each switchback I was anticipating wet soft ground, or a patch of snow. Nothing! After the climb to the first rest area, I decided to proceed to the Wall. Still tacky perfect conditions leading the way up to the Wall. Then the climb begins…about half way up the Wall a barrier of snow presented itself. All I could think, “this is better than I thought”. For late April mountain biking, we are looking good and should get more open as the weeks progress.
Stay up to date with trail conditions from your friends at Tahoe Mountain Guides.
So, maybe you are new to mountain biking or a seasoned veteran, and you have asked the question, “why should I choose to mountain bike with Tahoe Mountain Guides?” Well, we have asked ourselves the same question and believe the answer is quite simple:
- Tahoe Mountain Guides offers one on one personalized instruction. TMG’s instruction is for every type of rider from young to adult, teaching you the skills and technique to excel as a mountain biker.
- We do not take a chairlift to the top of a mountain bike climb. We teach you proper weight distribution, cadence and the skills to get you to the top of the mountain. We like to earn our turns; this makes the downhill portion that much more enjoyable. Don’t worry, you will get the same instruction to get you down the hill, too. If you want to experience just the downhill portion of mountain biking, we think you will enjoy the mountain bike park Northstar at California has to offer the gravity rider.
- Tahoe Mountain Guides holds extensive permits from the U.S. Forest Service allowing us a wide range of trails for every ability level. We are proud to work in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service and take this responsibility with great pride.
- TMG loves to mountain bike! We also like to talk. Not only will you get a breathtaking view, amazing trails and enjoyable experience, you will also get the history, local folklore and funny stories about Lake Tahoe and Truckee. Also, we like to stop and take in the view, too!
- Our guides will only take 3-4 riders at a time. With larger groups, we assess all riders and can split-up according to ability levels. This way everyone has an enjoyable experience and does the ride they want.
- Each tour is about you! It is never about the guide.
- Tahoe Mountain Guides offers shuttle service for you and your friends on the Tahoe Truckee Super D!
- Heaven for bid any of our guests have an accident, TMG is prepared. All guides are medically trained.
Want to experience a ride with Tahoe Mountain Guides? It’s easy to ride with TMG; just contact us, make a reservation for yourself, a group of friends, family, or a company team building workshop. We just want to ride and make new mtb friends! Tahoe Mountain Guides hits the trail seven days a week and waiting to ride with you.
The TMG Crew
I hear some mountain bikers say they have not been on the bike enough this summer. What’s wrong with the fall? You should be on the local trails now! The mountain bike season has not ended and the trails are in the best shape ever! The fall season in Tahoe and Truckee brings new wonder; it brings incredible colors leaping from the mountain bike trails, and the dirt you ride with those knobby tires sticking to the trails enabling you to ride faster than ever. Are you starting think, “why am I not on my mountain bike!?” Yeah, Tahoe Mountain Guides want you on the trail, too!
Tahoe Mountain Guides have been getting after the trails all season long. We know the trails, we know the conditions, and we know what you will like. Each mountain bike tour is fit to your ability level, and special care is taken to ensure your safe arrival with a smile. Fall in Lake Tahoe also has some of the best biking weather. Temperatures range in the mid to upper 60’s. Make sure to bring a fleece if we ride into the sunset. For more information or to book a mountain bike tour, don’t wait too long. As soon as the snow falls, TMG will be off the bikes and strapped to our alpine and telemark skis.
First, Tahoe Mountain Guides would like to thank Lake Tahoe’s All-Women Sport Camp for the opportunity to participate and to share in such an amazing event. And, we got to mountain bike with Marla Streb! World class mountain biker right here in our own backyard! Also, a huge “Thank You” to ALL the ladies who participated. Tahoe Mountain Guides enjoyed getting dirty with you, and cleaning up a couple of you while breaking that learning curve. We hope you had as much fun as we did, and hope to see you at the camp next summer!
The tours are flowing like the singletrack we love to ride. And on the singletrack, we have taken many riders from many walks of life from all over the world. TMG’s guests have come from: Canada, Germany, Israel, South Korea, and East Coast Represent!…as well as from the streets we walk in the Truckee/Tahoe area. Each and every day, our guides at TMG look forward to meeting new guests and expanding our experience beyond our mountain get-away town. TMG has converted casual riders, and newbie’s, to mountain bikers!
The long and short of it, Tahoe Mountain Guides is having some fun and it’s because of YOU! If you have yet to experience a tour with TMG, give us a call, send us an email, or show up at the shop. Bike tours are always available, and fit to your ability level. We want to hear your story and make many more mountain bike friends.